Skip to main content

Translate

Words // Palavras

 



Words

 

The world wants us to believe that being true to our emotions and feelings are the best thing we can do to ourselves. It is not. It is that simple. Emotions and feelings are fleeting things. They change and complicate things, a lot.

Every time we act on our emotions, we most likely will regret it a little after. I am not only talking about emotions like passion or anger. Or as they like saying, anxiety. First of all, anxiety is a disease, not a feeling much less emotion.

Love is a decision. Hate is also a decision. Decision that can be based on your feelings. “I like that person, because she makes me feel loved, cared for. She pays attention to me. She listens to me; therefore I can say that I love her.” You are being a follower of utilitarianism, and that is not love. I am not saying it is wrong. I am saying that is not love. We all are at certain times and degrees utilitarian. Who does not like being treated right? Who doesn’t hate being treated unfairly? Quite logical, isn’t it?

 

Let’s not confound it with love; and let’s not mistake feelings, and emotions with love either.

Why am I bringing this up? Because I think, we forget to think and reason before we say a word. A word is a very big deal. If the word is filled with emotions, we are probably going to get it wrong. The chances that we are saying the right thing with the wrong words and emotions. We communicate with words, body language, voice tone, the way we look at the listener. If we really care about the listener, we should be careful how we employ all these features into the conversation.

Most of the time we are not aware of our body language or the way we look to the other person, and most of the time this is all that matters. Because the listener are not only listening but seeing how you pronounce the words. And the brain is composing are language that might not the same you are trying to communicate.

The Bible educate us with wisdom, understanding and the usage of the tongue. I have written about them a few times now. Why do we hurt more the people we love the most? I think it is because with them we feel more comfortable being ourselves, or maybe because we know we will be forgiven eventually. However, in my humble opinion this speaks less of the one who acts like that. A person who doesn’t care how to say things (important or not) especially to their loved ones just because they know they are loved and they’ll be forgiven, don’t reciprocate the same love. If I care about you, I should be careful about not hurting you with my words, tone of voice, looks and body language. I should be more careful.

So, some can argue that “if I need to be worried about every word I need to say to that person, I rather not say a word, or even worse, I don’t want to have to say a word. I won’t be myself if I need to be that careful.” With these statements I only see selfishness. That is why we decide to love someone. Love can’t be based on emotions or feelings. Love is based on reason, and care, and attention. When we decide to love someone, we decide to look to this other person as worthy of my care; a person who I don’t want to hurt, even if this person hurt me in the process. My mindset has to be focused on the other person, not on myself.

If I am always thinking about “how I should be treated, spoken, looked at, etc.” otherwise I can’t reciprocate my feelings, my attention, or care. Because I might be thinking that I am more worthy than them. I can never find love. I will not be loved either.

Love in its essence is selfless. The apostle Paul describes perfectly  what love is in 1 Corinthians 13.

Before you saying “I love you”, stop and think about it. Love is not about how the other person makes you feel; love is how you act toward the other person despite everything. Either you love that person entirely, or you just don’t love her. You and I will hurt the person we love and vice-versa along the way. But we know we will be able to work it out because what unite us is bigger than ourselves. Love can overcome everything. Because it is a decision.

Next time you open your mouth, think about the words and how they would impact the other person. What do you want to accomplish with those words? Words hurt cause more damage than a punch in the face. Sometimes, words are received just like a punch in the face. Was that your intention?

I am not going to talk about as a follower of Christ how do you feel about the words you speak and the way you speak? Are they having the outcome you intended?

 

Palavras

 

O mundo quer que acreditemos que ser fiel às nossas emoções e sentimentos é a melhor coisa que podemos fazer por nós mesmos. Não é. É simples assim. Emoções e sentimentos são coisas passageiras. Eles mudam e complicam as coisas — e muito.

Sempre que agimos com base em nossas emoções, é muito provável que nos arrependamos um pouco depois. Não estou falando apenas de emoções como paixão ou raiva. Ou, como gostam de dizer, ansiedade. Antes de mais nada, a ansiedade é uma doença, não um sentimento e muito menos uma emoção.

O amor é uma decisão. O ódio também é uma decisão. Decisões que podem se basear em seus sentimentos. "Gosto daquela pessoa porque ela me faz sentir amado e cuidado. Ela me dá atenção. Ela me ouve; portanto, posso dizer que a amo." Você está adotando uma postura utilitarista, e isso não é amor. Não estou dizendo que é errado. Estou dizendo que não é amor. Todos nós somos utilitaristas em certos momentos e graus. Quem não gosta de ser bem tratado? Quem não odeia ser tratado de forma injusta? É bem lógico, não é?

 

Não vamos confundir isso com amor; e também não vamos confundir sentimentos e emoções com amor.

Por que estou levantando esse assunto? Porque acho que esquecemos de pensar e raciocinar antes de dizer uma palavra. Uma palavra é algo muito importante. Se a palavra estiver carregada de emoções, provavelmente vamos errar. Há grandes chances de dizermos a coisa certa com as palavras e emoções erradas. Nós nos comunicamos por meio de palavras, linguagem corporal, tom de voz e a maneira como olhamos para o ouvinte. Se realmente nos importamos com o ouvinte, devemos ter cuidado ao empregar todos esses elementos na conversa.

Na maioria das vezes, não temos consciência da nossa linguagem corporal ou da forma como olhamos para a outra pessoa — e, na maioria das vezes, é isso o que realmente importa. Porque o ouvinte não está apenas ouvindo, mas observando como você pronuncia as palavras. E o cérebro está interpretando uma linguagem que pode não ser a mesma que você está tentando transmitir.

A Bíblia nos instrui sobre sabedoria, compreensão e o uso da língua. Já escrevi sobre isso algumas vezes. Por que ferimos mais as pessoas que mais amamos? Acho que é porque, com essas pessoas, nos sentimos mais à vontade para sermos nós mesmos — ou talvez porque saibamos que, no fim das contas, seremos perdoados. No entanto, na minha humilde opinião, isso diz muito sobre quem age assim. Uma pessoa que não se importa com a maneira como diz as coisas (sejam importantes ou não), especialmente para quem ama — apenas por saber que é amada e será perdoada —, não retribui esse mesmo amor. Se eu me importo com você, devo ter o cuidado de não magoá-lo com minhas palavras, tom de voz, olhares ou linguagem corporal. Devo ser mais cuidadoso.

Alguns podem argumentar: "Se eu precisar me preocupar com cada palavra que digo a essa pessoa, prefiro não dizer nada — ou, pior ainda, não quero ter de dizer nada. Não serei eu mesmo se tiver de ser tão cauteloso assim". Nessas afirmações, vejo apenas egoísmo. É por isso que decidimos amar alguém. O amor não pode se basear apenas em emoções ou sentimentos; ele se baseia na razão, no cuidado e na atenção. Quando decidimos amar alguém, decidimos ver essa pessoa como alguém digno do nosso cuidado; alguém que não queremos magoar, mesmo que ela nos magoe no processo. Nossa mentalidade deve estar voltada para o outro, não para nós mesmos.

Se eu ficar sempre pensando em "como devo ser tratado, como devem falar comigo, como devem olhar para mim, etc." — caso contrário, não consigo retribuir meus sentimentos, minha atenção ou meu cuidado —, é porque talvez eu esteja pensando que sou mais digno do que a outra pessoa. Assim, nunca encontrarei o amor. E também não serei amado.

O amor, em sua essência, é altruísta. O apóstolo Paulo descreve perfeitamente o que é o amor em 1 Coríntios 13.

Antes de dizer "eu te amo", pare e reflita. O amor não se trata de como a outra pessoa faz você se sentir; o amor é como você age em relação a ela, apesar de tudo. Ou você ama essa pessoa por inteiro, ou simplesmente não a ama. Você e eu magoaremos a pessoa que amamos — e vice-versa — ao longo da jornada. Mas sabemos que seremos capazes de superar isso, porque o que nos une é maior do que nós mesmos. O amor pode superar tudo, pois é uma decisão. Da próxima vez que você abrir a boca, pense nas palavras e em como elas afetariam a outra pessoa. O que você quer alcançar com elas? Palavras podem ferir e causar mais danos do que um soco no rosto. Às vezes, elas são recebidas exatamente como um soco no rosto. Essa era a sua intenção?

Como seguidor de Cristo, reflita sobre as palavras que você profere e a maneira como fala. Elas estão gerando o resultado que você pretendia?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I see Grace in the time of the Law // Eu vejo Graça no tempo da Lei

People frequently say that the Old Testament is the time of the law, and now we are under the Grace of God. Surprisingly, I just found out an explicit act of the Grace of God in the Old Testament. As I read chapter 9 of Deuteronomy , in which has a title Not because of Righteousness (ESV). I am stunned to see verses 4 - 6, they say: “ Do not say in your heart , after the Lord your God has thrust them out before you, ‘ It is because of my righteousness that the Lord has brought me in to possess this land,’ whereas it is because of the wickedness of these nations that the Lord is driving them out before you. 5 Not because of your righteousness or the uprightness of your heart are you going in to possess their land, but because of the wickedness of these nations the Lord your God is driving them out from before you, and that he may confirm the word that the Lord swore to your fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob.6 “Know, therefore, that the Lord your God is not giving y...

Doubts and fears leave us halfway // Dúvidas e medos nos deixam na metade do caminho

  Despite all the sad news I got this week, we are still standing. I am in the Book of Joshua, in my annual Bible reading. There is a part in the book that is kind of boring. It is the distribution of the cities and borders. It is tempting to skip this part, but something that I heard from the guy from the Bible Project usually says, “it is wisdom literature”, or “meditation literature”. There is something important besides geographical information in these texts. And there is. Joshua 17:18c “though the Canaanites have chariots fitted with iron and though they are strong, you can drive them out”. In the beginning of the book and several other parts too, the LORD says to Joshua, “Be strong and courageous”. What does that mean? What is this book really about? Well, the way I see it might not be the same way you see it. The way I see this book is about how we trust God and obey Him. Then we will see Him doing amazing things. It doesn’t matter how n...

All Magic comes with a price // Toda mágica tem um preço

  How to Recognize Foolishness and Pursue Wisdom A devotional reflection on humility, discernment, and the cost of our choices Opening Scripture “Do not be wise in your own eyes.” — Proverbs 3:7 Devotional Reading A fool is not the same as an insane person. In my understanding, an insane person is unable to reason clearly; things may not make sense in their mind. A fool, however, is someone who rejects counsel, ignores warnings, disobeys what is right, and acts from wrong motivations. If a person does the wrong thing for the right reason, we may still be able to understand the motive. But foolishness is different: it is often rooted in ignorance, arrogance, and a narrow mind that refuses wisdom. How can we recognize a wise person? In my understanding, a wise person does not act impulsively. This person does not need to suffer through every mistake in order to learn, because wisdom can also come from observing the experiences of ot...