Skip to main content

Translate

I'm only human // Eu só sou humano



Do you know that parable that Jesus told after Peter asked him how many times we are supposed to forgive, and Jesus answered him seventy times seven? There… I bet that every time you read that following passage (Matthew 18:23 – 35) you are appalled by the servant’s behavior. But slow down a little bit, let’s take a look in the mirror.

We often feel horrified and think about that we could nev…, couldn’t we? We try to justify our actions and feel good about them even though we know that a little bit of mercy wouldn’t hurt, would it? Because we don’t know why that guy acted the way he did.

 

But why don’t we know anything else about him? Jesus gave us no detail about the man’s life. I am going to quote here what I’ve read in a book this morning.

 

“In effect, the parable allows no excuse for such behavior because it does not grant the servant an opportunity to explain it. But that doesn’t mean the unmerciful servant did not have one or two or more excuses. What might they have been? And why meditate on that?

“Simply put, we might be capable of similar rationalization and self-justification. Taking a cue from Jesus’ words to the adulterous woman’s accusers (John 8:7), we shouldn’t cast stones but should instead examine our own tendencies and track records”.

 

The author gives some examples of rationalization for unforgiveness that we might have done in the unmerciful servant’s position. Let’s think about:

“The “difference” excuse

“The root excuse: I’m grateful my debt was forgiven, but his debt differs from mine, because…

-     It was his fault he got into debt. I couldn’t help my debt. It was due to a whole set of circumstances over which I had no control.

-              He never pays people back. I realize my debt was larger, but he keeps borrowing money… he needed a lesson.”

  In God’s Word we see how He deals with debts. He planned a “year for canceling debts” every seven years, then the “year of jubilee” every fifty years. Why do you think God put that on His law? Shouldn’t we learn to be more forgiven? We pray “Father, forgive our debts as I have forgiven my debtors”, have I really showed mercy to others? Am I that perfect?

 

There is another excuse the author gives as an example. The “Obligation” excuse.

“The root excuse: don’t get me wrong; I am so relieved to have my debt canceled! But just because the master was obligated to cancel mine does not obligate me to cancel other people’s debts. The master was obliged to cancel mine because…

-              “He’s rich. He can afford to forgive my debt. He has plenty of money and won’t go without food. But the very fact that I couldn’t pay the debt means I don’t know whether I will even have enough money to put groceries on the table unless people who owe me pay me back. So the guy has got to pay up. A couple of bucks is a couple of bucks!

-“there’s a certain logic to debt repayment. If it’s impossible to pay, then it might as well be erased. But when a debt is not too large to be repaid, then the obligation should be enforced. My debt was unpayable, but I am justified in enforcing the debt of the guy who owes me because it’s payable.

“A person who wants to find a law for everything makes these kinds of excuses. If there’s an obligation, then act. If there’s no obligation, then there’s no need to act.”

“Jesus’ answer – seventy-seven times (v.22), - along with this elaborate parable reorients the question of forgiveness away from law toward grace”.

 

The other excuse is the “I’m only human” excuse.

“The root excuse: I shouldn’t have come down so strongly on that guy – maybe I even should have just let him off the hook – but I am only human. You can’t expect me…

- To act perfectly all the time. I was having a bad day and had a splitting headache…maybe another day I would have been kinder in the way I approached the guy. But you need to understand I’m only human. I was the buildup of pressure.

-   To be someone I’m not. I’m hotheaded. It’s in my blood. It’s just the way I am. Actually, that trait is usually a good thing; it’s how I get things done. I’m aggressive in a good way. So, when occasionally it works out in a negative way, cut me some slack, okay?

“We do not give these excuses before we act poorly, but we use them to justify our behavior after the fact.”

 So, I bet you remember a day that you told yourself some of those excuses. Maybe you told someone else who rebuked you and you realize how bad it was, but you didn’t want to be seen that bad. So you came up with an excuse.

 The author considered three “rationalizations” for the unmerciful servant’s behavior. “Can you think of any other? Here’s a hint: think of someone you’re having a hard time forgiving and listen to what you’ve been telling yourself.”

The name of the book is Fresh eyes on Jesus’ parables. Doug Newton.

 

For example, when I have some confrontations I am used to telling myself that “he needed to hear that”, or “ it is always my initiative to fix or do things”, but in fact none of that matters. None of those excuses justify my lack of patience or kindness. It is wrong. And we need to want to behave better, to do better. We are paving our path to heaven. Jesus has redeemed us, sure, but that doesn’t mean that we can keep acting like we are living by the world’s standards; we live by God’s standards because we are going to be with Him forever. So, there is no excuse for being bad, evil, unmerciful, unkind, rude. We don’t get better by our own strength but by the Holy Spirit’s power who lives in us. Let us not ignore Him, and let us be humble when we fail to act in love toward our neighbor.

Você conhece aquela parábola que Jesus contou depois que Pedro perguntou a ele quantas vezes devemos perdoar, e Jesus respondeu setenta vezes sete? Pronto ... Aposto que toda vez que você lê a seguinte passagem (Mateus 18:23 - 35) você fica horrorizado com o comportamento do servo. Mas desacelere um pouco, vamos dar uma olhada no espelho.

 

Muitas vezes ficamos horrorizados e pensamos que poderíamos nunca ..., não é? Tentamos justificar nossas ações e nos sentir bem a respeito delas, embora saibamos que um pouco de misericórdia não faria mal, não é? Porque não sabemos o porquê daquele cara ter agido aquela maneira.

 

Mas por que não sabemos mais nada sobre ele? Jesus não nos deu detalhes sobre a vida do homem. Vou citar aqui o que li em um livro esta manhã.

 

“Com efeito, a parábola não dá desculpa para tal comportamento, porque não dá ao servo a oportunidade de se explicar. Mas isso não significa que o servo impiedoso não tinha uma, duas ou mais desculpas. O que podem ter sido? E por que meditar nisso?

“Simplificando, podemos ser capazes de racionalização e autojustificação semelhantes. Seguindo uma pista das palavras de Jesus aos acusadores da mulher adúltera (João 8: 7), não devemos atirar pedras, mas sim examinar nossas próprias tendências e histórico”.

 

O autor dá alguns exemplos de racionalização para falta de perdão que poderíamos ter feito na posição do servo impiedoso. Vamos pensar sobre:

“A“ diferença ”desculpa

"A desculpa básica: estou grato por minha dívida ter sido perdoada, mas a dívida dele é diferente da minha, porque ...

- Foi culpa dele que ele se endividou. Eu não pude evitar minha dívida. Foi devido a todo um conjunto de circunstâncias sobre as quais eu não tinha controle.

- Ele nunca paga as pessoas de volta. Sei que minha dívida era maior, mas ele continua pedindo dinheiro emprestado ... ele precisava de uma lição”.

 

Na Palavra de Deus, vemos como Ele lida com dívidas. Ele planejou um “ano para cancelar dívidas” a cada sete anos, depois o “ano do jubileu” a cada cinquenta anos. Por que você acha que Deus colocou isso em Sua lei? Não deveríamos aprender a ser mais perdoados?

Oramos “Pai, perdoa nossas dívidas como perdoei meus devedores”, eu realmente mostrei misericórdia para com os outros? Eu sou tão perfeito?

 

Há outra desculpa que o autor dá como exemplo. A desculpa da “Obrigação”.

“A desculpa básica: não me interpretem mal; Estou tão aliviado por ter minha dívida cancelada! Mas só porque o mestre foi obrigado a cancelar a minha, não me obriga a cancelar as dívidas de outras pessoas. O mestre foi obrigado a cancelar o meu porque ...

- “Ele é rico. Ele pode perdoar minha dívida. Ele tem muito dinheiro e não fica sem comida. Mas o próprio fato de não poder pagar a dívida significa que não sei se terei dinheiro suficiente para colocar mantimentos na mesa, a menos que as pessoas que me devem pagar de volta. Então o cara tem que pagar. Um par de dólares é um par de dólares!

- “há uma certa lógica no reembolso da dívida. Se for impossível pagar, então pode muito bem ser apagado. Mas quando uma dívida não é muito grande para ser paga, a obrigação deve ser cumprida. Minha dívida era impagável, mas tenho justificativa para fazer valer a dívida do cara que me deve porque é exigível.

“Quem quer encontrar lei para tudo dá esse tipo de desculpa. Se houver uma obrigação, aja. Se não houver obrigação, não há necessidade de agir.”

"A resposta de Jesus - setenta e sete vezes (v.22), - junto com esta parábola elaborada reorienta a questão do perdão da lei para a graça".

 

A outra desculpa é a desculpa "Eu sou apenas humano".

“A desculpa básica: eu não deveria ter criticado tanto aquele cara - talvez eu até devesse tê-lo deixado livre da dívida - mas eu sou apenas humano. Você não pode esperar que eu ...

- Aja perfeitamente o tempo todo. Eu estava tendo um dia ruim e com uma dor de cabeça terrível ... talvez outro dia eu teria sido mais gentil na maneira como abordei o cara. Mas você precisa entender que sou apenas humano. Eu tinha um acúmulo de pressão.

- Seja alguém que não sou. Eu sou cabeça quente. Está no meu sangue. É assim que eu sou. Na verdade, esse traço geralmente é uma coisa boa; é como eu faço as coisas. Eu sou agressivo no bom sentido. Então, quando ocasionalmente funciona de forma negativa, me dê uma folga, ok?

“Não damos essas desculpas antes de agirmos mal, mas as usamos para justificar nosso comportamento após o fato.”

 

Então, aposto que você se lembra de um dia em que disse a si mesmo algumas dessas desculpas. Talvez você tenha contado a alguém que o repreendeu e você percebe o quão ruim foi, mas você não queria ser visto tão mal. Então você inventou uma desculpa.

 

O autor considerou três "racionalizações" para o comportamento do servo impiedoso. “Você pode pensar em qualquer outro? Aqui vai uma dica: pense em alguém que você está tendo dificuldade em perdoar e ouça o que você tem dito a si mesmo.”

O nome do livro é Novos olhos nas parábolas de Jesus. Doug Newton.

 

Por exemplo, quando tenho alguns confrontos, costumo dizer a mim mesmo que “ele precisava ouvir isso”, ou “é sempre minha iniciativa consertar ou fazer coisas”, mas na verdade nada disso importa. Nenhuma dessas desculpas justifica minha falta de paciência ou gentileza. Está errado. E precisamos querer nos comportar melhor, fazer melhor. Estamos pavimentando nosso caminho para o céu. Jesus nos redimiu, claro, mas isso não significa que podemos continuar agindo como se estivéssemos vivendo de acordo com os padrões do mundo; vivemos de acordo com os padrões de Deus porque estaremos com Ele para sempre. Portanto, não há desculpa para ser mau, ruim, impiedoso, rude, mal-educado. Não melhoramos por nossa própria força, mas pelo poder do Espírito Santo que vive em nós. Não O ignoremos e sejamos humildes, quando deixarmos de agir com amor para com o próximo.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Come and See + Judge correctly // Venha e Veja + Julgue corretamente

Venha e Veja   Two verses stood out for me this morning. John 7:17-18 and 7:24.   “ Anyone who chooses to do the will of God will find out whether my teaching comes from God or whether I speak on my own.   18  Whoever speaks on their own does so to gain personal glory, but he who seeks the glory of the one who sent him is a man of truth; there is nothing false about him.” John 7:24 “ Stop judging by mere appearances, but instead judge correctly.”   That was Jesus talking.  I lately heard that some people with vast knowledge of the Bible (we all want to believe) are being led astray through the vain doctrines of this world. Meaning, that some church leaders or people have earned the people's trust by telling them lies about the teachings of the Bible. People seek their own popularity by agreeing with the lies the world has offered them.  I have seen churches with flags and teaching doctrines that the Bible condemns. They have twisted the Word of God to be more acceptable and palatab

Are you lost? // Você está perdido?

Você está perdido? There is always this time in life when we are certain about what to do with our lives. We have a goal, and an objective to reach. However, it is often that life turns the other way around and our plans are made nothing. Frequently I hear people say, “I am lost, I don’t know what to do!” That happens when we put our goals into something that changes. Everything in this world change. You and I are changing by the minute. My thoughts right now are running like crazy, and if I don’t set a goal in something that doesn’t change, I can’t do anything. What is it?   Jesus. The word of God. You might think I am crazy, and lunatic or even a fanatic. But who really knows me, know that I am none of those things. I am a very sensible person who has lived and experienced many things. And I don’t lie. So, if you are experiencing a sense of loss and despair, how about putting your hope in the One who cannot change whatsoever. If you lost you

Pointing finger // Apontar o dedo

Recently I was studying the Sermon on the mount in a bible study at the church. It was wonderful to meditate and go deep in these Jesus’ words. So many details we sometimes don’t realize. We are very quick to see the flaws and failures of others. But interestingly the things we see faster in others are probably the things we don’t see or won’t see in ourselves. It is easy to point a finger when someone is, for example, throwing trash on the streets, when one doesn’t even bother to do the same at home. In Brazil, we have this saying “blacksmith’s house, woodpecker.” Who are you to point a finger to anyone when you yourself cannot do better? Your sin is no smaller than his. Jesus said, “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? ( Matthew 7 :3). Look, sawdust is something small, and plank or log is something much bigger than sawdust. Sometimes we are able to see something very insignificant in othe