Skip to main content

Translate

Pointing finger // Apontar o dedo


Recently I was studying the Sermon on the mount in a bible study at the church. It was wonderful to meditate and go deep in these Jesus’ words. So many details we sometimes don’t realize.

We are very quick to see the flaws and failures of others. But interestingly the things we see faster in others are probably the things we don’t see or won’t see in ourselves. It is easy to point a finger when someone is, for example, throwing trash on the streets, when one doesn’t even bother to do the same at home.

In Brazil, we have this saying “blacksmith’s house, woodpecker.” Who are you to point a finger to anyone when you yourself cannot do better? Your sin is no smaller than his. Jesus said, “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? (Matthew 7:3). Look, sawdust is something small, and plank or log is something much bigger than sawdust. Sometimes we are able to see something very insignificant in other’s lives, but we cannot see something very big and
wrong going on in our own lives!

First, look at yourself, look at your own arrogance, your pride, what are the things you do to show to others that you are better?

Do you like criticizing? I sometimes catch myself criticizing people. I have been fighting against it. I don’t want to be like that anymore. I am no better than anyone else. God brought me to a place where I found myself less than anybody I’ve known so I could watch my mouth before speaking.

How do you feel when someone does the same to you? In verse 12 Jesus said, ‘So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.’ He is not saying don’t do to others what you wouldn’t like to be done yourself.  But, DO to others. You are not to be passive here, you are to be active here. You are to be the one to start a goodness movement. You want what is best for yourself. So, give the best to others first. Make them feel comfortable around you, be gentle, be kind, serve in order to be served.  Otherwise, “Fo, in the same way, you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” Matthew 7:2.

If you criticize, you will be criticized too. If you judge, you will be judged too. If you don’t forgive, you won’t be forgiven either. So, before you start questioning yourself why that person can’t forgive you, search in your heart if there is someone needing your forgiveness. You said that you have forgiven, but have you really?
Even in the Lord’s prayer, you say, “forgive me as I have forgiven”, if you haven’t, you cannot expect anything in return, can you?

Let’s pray: Dear Lord, help me to keep my mouth shut when I have the desire to judge and criticize someone. Help me to see first my own flaws and come to you in humbleness searching for forgiveness. Help me to overcome my pride and to be easy on others. I know I want everything to be perfect, but I am not perfect. Help me to forgive those who have offended me and help me to seek their forgiveness. I lay down my pride here before you, O Lord. In your holy name, I pray. Amen.

Recentemente eu estava estudando o sermão da montanha na igreja. Foi maravilhoso meditar e ir mais fundo nas palavras de Jesus. Tantos detalhes que muitas vezes não percebemos.

Nós somos muito rápidos para ver as falhas e os fracassos dos outros. Mas, nós vemos mais rápido nos outros as coisas que não vemos em nós mesmos. É mais fácil apontar quando alguém por exemplo joga lixo na rua, quando a pessoa nem se incomoda com o mesmo na própria casa.

No Brasil temos um ditado que diz: “Casa de ferreiro, espeto de pau”. Quem é você para apontar o dedo quando nem você consegue fazer melhor? Seu pecado não é menor do que o da outra pessoa. Jesus disse: “Por que você repara no cisco que está no olho do seu irmão, e não se dá conta da viga que está em seu próprio olho?” (Mateus 7:3). Veja só, cisco é uma coisa bem pequena, mas uma viga é bem grande. As vezes nós somos capazes de ver algo tão insignificante na vida do outro, mas não somos capazes de ver o que está errado (bem grande e errado) nas nossas próprias vidas!

Primeiro olhe para você mesmo, para sua própria arrogância, seu orgulho, o que são as coisas que você faz para mostrar para os outros que você é melhor?

Você gosta de criticar? As vezes eu me pego criticando pessoas. Eu tenho uma luta constante contra isso. Eu não quero mais ser assim. Eu não sou melhor que ninguém. Deus me colocou numa posição onde eu sou menor do que qualquer pessoa que eu conheço, para eu cuidar da minha boca antes de falar.

Como você se sente quando alguém te critica? No verso 12 Jesus disse, “Assim, em tudo, façam aos outros o que vocês querem que eles lhes façam; pois esta é a Lei e os Profetas.” Ele não disse para não fazer aquilo que você não gostaria que fizessem com você. Ele disse FAÇAM aos outros. Você não é para estar na voz passiva, mas ser ativo aqui. Você é para ser aquele que vai iniciar o movimento de bondade. Você quer o que é melhor para você mesmo. Então, primeiro dê o melhor para os outros. Faça-os se sentirem confortáveis ao seu redor, seja gentil, seja amável, sirva para ser servido. De outra forma, “Pois da mesma forma que julgarem, vocês serão julgados; e a medida que usarem, também será usada para medir vocês.” (Mateus 7:2)

Se você critica, você será criticado também. Se você julga, você também seja julgado. Se você não perdoa, você também não será perdoado. Então, antes de você começar a se questionar porque tal pessoa não consegue te perdoar, procure no seu coração se há alguém precisando do seu perdão. Você disse que perdoou, mas você perdoou realmente? Mesmo na oração do Pai Nosso você diz “Perdoa as nossas dívidas, assim como perdoamos aos nossos devedores.” Se você não tem perdoado, você não pode esperar nada em retorno, pode?

Oremos: Senhor, me ajuda a ficar com a boa fechada quando eu sentir vontade de julgar e criticar alguém. Ajuda-me a ver primeiro meus defeitos e vir ate Ti com humildade procurando perdão. Ajuda-me a superar meu orgulho, e a não pegar pesado com as outras pessoas. Eu sei que eu quero tudo perfeito, mas eu não sou perfeita. Ajuda-me a perdoar aqueles que tem me ofendido, e ajuda-me a buscar perdão. Eu coloco aqui diante de Ti meu orgulho, Oh Senhor. No seu Santo nome eu oro, Amém.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Come and See + Judge correctly // Venha e Veja + Julgue corretamente

Venha e Veja   Two verses stood out for me this morning. John 7:17-18 and 7:24.   “ Anyone who chooses to do the will of God will find out whether my teaching comes from God or whether I speak on my own.   18  Whoever speaks on their own does so to gain personal glory, but he who seeks the glory of the one who sent him is a man of truth; there is nothing false about him.” John 7:24 “ Stop judging by mere appearances, but instead judge correctly.”   That was Jesus talking.  I lately heard that some people with vast knowledge of the Bible (we all want to believe) are being led astray through the vain doctrines of this world. Meaning, that some church leaders or people have earned the people's trust by telling them lies about the teachings of the Bible. People seek their own popularity by agreeing with the lies the world has offered them.  I have seen churches with flags and teaching doctrines that the Bible condemns. They have twisted the Word of God to be more acceptable and palatab

Are you lost? // Você está perdido?

Você está perdido? There is always this time in life when we are certain about what to do with our lives. We have a goal, and an objective to reach. However, it is often that life turns the other way around and our plans are made nothing. Frequently I hear people say, “I am lost, I don’t know what to do!” That happens when we put our goals into something that changes. Everything in this world change. You and I are changing by the minute. My thoughts right now are running like crazy, and if I don’t set a goal in something that doesn’t change, I can’t do anything. What is it?   Jesus. The word of God. You might think I am crazy, and lunatic or even a fanatic. But who really knows me, know that I am none of those things. I am a very sensible person who has lived and experienced many things. And I don’t lie. So, if you are experiencing a sense of loss and despair, how about putting your hope in the One who cannot change whatsoever. If you lost you