Skip to main content

Translate

Psalm 23 // Salmo 23


 

Psalm 23

 Who had never heard about Psalm 23?

I can that everybody must have heard this at least once in life. 

Very cliché to say that it is my favorite Psalm. 

I’m gonna tell you why.

But first, if by any chance you haven’t read it yet. Shall we?

 

Psalm 23

 

The LORD Is My Shepherd

 

A Psalm of David.

 

            [1] The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

            [2]        He makes me lie down in green pastures.

            He leads me beside still waters.

            [3]        He restores my soul.

            He leads me in paths of righteousness

                        for his name’s sake.

            

            [4] Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,

                        I will fear no evil,

            for you are with me;

                        your rod and your staff,

                        they comfort me.

            

            [5] You prepare a table before me

                        in the presence of my enemies;

            you anoint my head with oil;

                        my cup overflows.

            [6] Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me

                        all the days of my life,

            and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD

                        forever. (ESV)

 

English is a little bit different from Portuguese, which, at the beginning, made me wonder about the second phrase. But Let’s do it, little by little. You’ll see how special is this Psalm.


So, to consider the very first phrase “The LORD is my shepherd”, I have to see myself as a sheep. And sheep, my friend, are dumb. They say they are the stupidest animal God has created. But I feel compelled to correct this phrase. Human being are the stupidest animal on earth. Why? Just to say the least, what other animal on Earth is able to destroy their own habitat? The answer is none. No other animal can make this mistake. But… back to sheep. Sheep tend to wander, not knowing where they’re going. They say they are stubborn. They are easy prey. So are we, human beings. We wander away from God, we are stubborn, we believe that we know everything, or worse, we believe that we can make it without Him. We are easy prey for the devil. We are always falling into his traps. 


However, if I consider the LORD my shepherd, I being the stupidest moron on earth, I will lack nothing (as it is in Portuguese). I shall not want is like I shall not want anything, because I am complete. 

Then David, the author explains why I shall not want anything if the LORD is my shepherd.


The next verses say what the LORD does for me when I let Him be my shepherd. 

In other words, David is saying: I trust in Him, therefore I rest. While I rest, He restores me (everything I lack He will make sure is provided for). Once I feel completed and restored, I will not have a reason to rebel against Him, therefore I will follow his ways, the righteousness’ paths.


David even let us know that even having the LORD as my shepherd I will encounter difficulties in life, because after all I am a sheep, dumb and stubborn. The LORD will still be my Shepherd, I have no need for fear. This Shepherd will bring me back to the righteousness’ paths; He will comfort me. David didn’t say that I would have an easy and comfortable life, at least not yet. David let us know that the Shepherd will correct me. That may not be a very pleasant moment, however, if I trust in Him and allow Him to keep being my Shepherd, I will not fear and I will know that all the corrections are for my own good. 


The Shepherd will bring justice and will bless me with all sorts of blessings. 

Deep in my mind and heart, I will know that “surely goodness and mercy shall follow me

all the days of my life,” and being in His house will be a pleasant place to be, to the point that David said that he would do that forever. 

So, when I feel lost, insecure, or even afraid of something that I have no control of, my best prayer is this Psalm. I need to remind myself that I have a Shepherd and He knows what to do. And then I look around and see how many blessings He has given me over the years since I let Him be my Shepherd.

 

 

 

Salmo 23

  Quem nunca ouviu falar do Salmo 23?

Posso dizer que todo mundo já deve ter ouvido isso pelo menos uma vez na vida.

Muito clichê dizer que é o meu salmo favorito.

Eu vou te dizer por quê.

Mas primeiro, se por acaso você ainda não leu. Leiamos?

 

Salmo 23

 

O senhor é meu pastor

 

Um Salmo de Davi.

 

[1] O Senhor é o meu pastor; nada me faltará.

[2] Ele me faz deitar em pastos verdejantes.

Ele me conduz a águas tranquilas.

[3] Ele restaura minha alma.

Ele me guia pelas veredas da justiça

por amor do seu nome.

 

[4] Ainda que eu ande pelo vale da sombra da morte,

não temerei mal algum,

pois você está comigo;

a tua vara e o teu cajado,

eles me confortam.

 

[5] Você prepara uma mesa diante de mim

na presença de meus inimigos;

você unge minha cabeça com óleo;

meu copo transborda.

[6] Certamente a bondade e a misericórdia me seguirão

todos os dias da minha vida,

e habitarei na casa do Senhor

para sempre. (ESV)

 

O inglês é um pouco diferente do português, o que, no início, me fez pensar na segunda frase. Mas vamos lendo, aos poucos. Você verá como este Salmo é especial.


Então, para considerar a primeira frase “O SENHOR é meu pastor”, eu tenho que me ver como uma ovelha. E as ovelhas, meu amigo, são burras. Eles dizem que são o animal mais estúpido que Deus criou. Mas sinto-me compelida a corrigir esta frase. O ser humano é o animal mais estúpido da terra. Por que? Só para dizer o mínimo, que outro animal na Terra é capaz de destruir seu próprio habitat? A resposta é nenhum. Nenhum outro animal pode cometer este erro. Mas… de volta às ovelhas. As ovelhas tendem a vagar, sem saber para onde estão indo. Dizem que são teimosos. Eles são presas fáceis. Nós também, seres humanos. Afastamo-nos de Deus, somos teimosos, acreditamos que sabemos tudo, ou pior, acreditamos que podemos sobreviver sem Ele. Somos presa fácil do diabo. Estamos sempre caindo em suas armadilhas.


Porém, se eu considerar o SENHOR meu pastor, sendo eu o imbecil mais estúpido da terra, nada me faltará. Não vou querer (como está em inglês) é como não vou querer nada, porque sou completo.

Então David, o autor, explica porque nada me faltará se o Senhor for o meu pastor.

Os próximos versículos dizem o que o SENHOR faz por mim quando deixo que Ele seja meu pastor.


Em outras palavras, Davi está dizendo: Eu confio nele, portanto eu descanso. Enquanto eu descanso, Ele me restaura (tudo o que me falta, Ele providenciará). Uma vez que me sinta completo e restaurado, não terei motivos para me rebelar contra Ele, portanto seguirei seus caminhos, os caminhos da retidão.


Davi inclusive nos deixou saber que mesmo tendo o SENHOR como meu pastor eu encontrarei dificuldades na vida, pois afinal sou uma ovelha burra e teimosa. O SENHOR ainda será meu pastor, não preciso temer. Este Pastor me trará de volta aos caminhos da justiça; Ele vai me confortar. Davi não disse que eu teria uma vida fácil e confortável, pelo menos não ainda. Davi nos deixou saber que o Pastor vai me corrigir. Esse pode não ser um momento muito agradável, porém, se eu confiar Nele e permitir que Ele continue sendo meu Pastor, não temerei e saberei que todas as correções são para o meu bem.


O Pastor trará justiça e me abençoará com todos os tipos de bênçãos.

No fundo da minha mente e coração, saberei que “certamente a bondade e a misericórdia me seguirão

todos os dias da minha vida”, e estar em Sua casa será um lugar agradável de se estar, a ponto de Davi dizer que faria isso para sempre.


Então, quando me sinto perdida, insegura ou mesmo com medo de algo que não tenho controle, minha melhor oração é este Salmo. Preciso me lembrar de que tenho um Pastor e Ele sabe o que fazer. E então olho em volta e vejo quantas bênçãos Ele me deu ao longo dos anos desde que deixei que Ele fosse meu Pastor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Come and See + Judge correctly // Venha e Veja + Julgue corretamente

Venha e Veja   Two verses stood out for me this morning. John 7:17-18 and 7:24.   “ Anyone who chooses to do the will of God will find out whether my teaching comes from God or whether I speak on my own.   18  Whoever speaks on their own does so to gain personal glory, but he who seeks the glory of the one who sent him is a man of truth; there is nothing false about him.” John 7:24 “ Stop judging by mere appearances, but instead judge correctly.”   That was Jesus talking.  I lately heard that some people with vast knowledge of the Bible (we all want to believe) are being led astray through the vain doctrines of this world. Meaning, that some church leaders or people have earned the people's trust by telling them lies about the teachings of the Bible. People seek their own popularity by agreeing with the lies the world has offered them.  I have seen churches with flags and teaching doctrines that the Bible condemns. They have twisted the Word of God to be more acceptable and palatab

Are you lost? // Você está perdido?

Você está perdido? There is always this time in life when we are certain about what to do with our lives. We have a goal, and an objective to reach. However, it is often that life turns the other way around and our plans are made nothing. Frequently I hear people say, “I am lost, I don’t know what to do!” That happens when we put our goals into something that changes. Everything in this world change. You and I are changing by the minute. My thoughts right now are running like crazy, and if I don’t set a goal in something that doesn’t change, I can’t do anything. What is it?   Jesus. The word of God. You might think I am crazy, and lunatic or even a fanatic. But who really knows me, know that I am none of those things. I am a very sensible person who has lived and experienced many things. And I don’t lie. So, if you are experiencing a sense of loss and despair, how about putting your hope in the One who cannot change whatsoever. If you lost you

Pointing finger // Apontar o dedo

Recently I was studying the Sermon on the mount in a bible study at the church. It was wonderful to meditate and go deep in these Jesus’ words. So many details we sometimes don’t realize. We are very quick to see the flaws and failures of others. But interestingly the things we see faster in others are probably the things we don’t see or won’t see in ourselves. It is easy to point a finger when someone is, for example, throwing trash on the streets, when one doesn’t even bother to do the same at home. In Brazil, we have this saying “blacksmith’s house, woodpecker.” Who are you to point a finger to anyone when you yourself cannot do better? Your sin is no smaller than his. Jesus said, “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? ( Matthew 7 :3). Look, sawdust is something small, and plank or log is something much bigger than sawdust. Sometimes we are able to see something very insignificant in othe