Skip to main content

Translate

Comfortable enough? // Bem confortável?


 "Seguir a Cristo não é uma prática casual ou ocasional, mas um compromisso contínuo e um modo de vida que se aplica em todos os momentos e em todos os lugares." - Elder Dallin H Oaks



How seriously do you take your Christian life? I mean, how hard do you try to be like Jesus? How often do you think of Jesus during the day? How often do you mention your sins, by name, to Jesus when you pray? For example, “ Oh Jesus, forgive me because I have sinned against you and that woman whom I lusted this afternoon. Jesus, help me to overcome this bad habit of mine.”

 

Don’t you think we have often taken for granted the grace of Jesus, and we are so sure we are already forgiven, although we have not stopped sinning or confessed that same sin? Sometimes, we don’t even think about that anymore because we are sure that we are forgiven or don’t recognize it as a sin anymore. 

 

I once talked to my husband about confession. I didn’t understand the need to go to a priest to confess because we can ask for forgiveness anywhere at any time. But when we do it privately, we have no accountability. We owe changing our attitude to no one, only God. I can hear myself saying it. This thought doesn’t help me to stop sinning. When I say out loud my sins and that I have repented, I feel the obligation to proceed cautiously from now on because someone heard that I repented, and when repentance really happens from the heart, we will sin less and less. And more, when I fall again, someone can help me. Like brothers and sisters should do.

 

If you are not Catholic, like I am not, we don’t have a designated person to go to confess, but I believe that pastors and friends will do the role of God’s ear, and you will have someone to account it for. 

My point with this bunch of questions of self-reflection and accountability is that sometimes, we feel very comfortable in our daily lives. 


Remember, we must be holy to enter God’s presence, or we will be consumed by His power and glory. He said, “Be holy, for I am holy” (Lev 19:2; 20:7; 1 Peter 1:16). You may contest by saying that it is impossible. And I say, and I quote Gabriel the angel and Jesus, “With God, nothing is impossible.”(Luke 1:37; Matthew 19:26) If you don’t believe it, you need to check your faith at the door.  And don’t even think that is an Old Testament thing. Hey God doesn’t change. If He said, it is said. Therefore, look for ways to sanctify yourself and be holy. 

 

We are not going to be holy from night to morning. It Is a process called sanctification. That is why we sing, “Lord, I need you, Oh I need you, every hour I need you…”

Don’t get comfortable in this life because God has made the next one for us—the eternal one. He doesn’t want you to be attached to the things of this earth because this earth will pass, and you will die, leaving everything behind. Paul talked about this a few times, I think.

 

I will ask you differently now: “Are you working hard to be holy every day, every hour?”

The more we try, the more we get it right. 

The Holy Spirit is our helper, remember? He lives in us to help us be holy, transforming us from the inside out. He is a helper, not a doer. We have a part to play in this transformation. Are you surrendering everything to God? Your job, concerns, pain, family, friends, and your “little sins” and your “big sins”? Everything you think you can control and the other things you know are out of your control, and you still try to control them? 

 

Sometimes, Juan and I talk about the possible future, so… we get to a point where we don’t know. He starts getting anxious, and I say, “God will provide.” And He always does. Like David said, “The Lord is my Shepherd; I will lack nothing.” Jesus also said, “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.” (John 10:27). Can you hear His voice? Are you following Him?

 

But don’t be mistaken because of Jesus’ grace. He is also just; He will judge all of us. Will you pass the test? Have you really lived under the blood of Jesus Christ? The sheep must be spotless and blameless. This is not Old Testament stuff. This is Jesus teaching what He expects of us. Nothing less than perfection. We need to try, at least. How hard are you trying? Or you are comfortable enough already? 

 

Be careful. To be a follower of Jesus means this life is not supposed to be comfortable. He didn’t live comfortably. He sympathized with the poor, the sick, the outcast. He brought them into the kingdom of Heavens. But that doesn’t mean they have the right to keep living the same way. Or you have to become one of them. Jesus often transformed radically people’s lives. You are salt; you have the light. So you have to stand out; people must recognize Christ in you. He said, “A new commandment I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you also must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are My disciples, if you love one another.” They will know that you are my followers by the way you live.” John 13:34-35. Then he said, “If you love me, you will keep my commandments.” (Read John 14:15 – 31).

Quão seriamente você leva sua vida cristã? Quero dizer, até que ponto você tenta ser como Jesus? Com que frequência você pensa em Jesus durante o dia? Com que frequência você menciona seus pecados, pelo nome, a Jesus quando ora? Por exemplo: “Oh Jesus, perdoe-me porque pequei contra você e aquela mulher que desejei esta tarde. Jesus, ajude-me a superar esse meu mau hábito.”

 

Você não acha que muitas vezes consideramos a graça de Jesus garantida e temos tanta certeza de que já fomos perdoados, embora não tenhamos parado de pecar ou confessado o mesmo pecado? Às vezes nem pensamos mais nisso porque temos certeza de que fomos perdoados ou não reconhecemos mais isso como pecado.

 

Certa vez conversei com meu marido sobre confissão. Não entendia a necessidade de ir a um padre para confessar, porque podemos pedir perdão em qualquer lugar e a qualquer hora. Mas quando o fazemos de forma privada, não temos responsabilidade. Não devemos a mudança de atitude a ninguém, somente a Deus. Eu posso me ouvir dizendo isso. Esse pensamento não me ajuda a parar de pecar. Quando digo em voz alta meus pecados e que me arrependi, sinto a obrigação de proceder com cautela a partir de agora porque alguém ouviu que me arrependi, e quando o arrependimento realmente acontece de coração, pecamos cada vez menos. E mais, quando eu cair de novo, alguém pode me ajudar. Como irmãos e irmãs deveriam fazer.

 

Se você não é católico, como eu não sou, não temos uma pessoa designada para se confessar, mas acredito que pastores e amigos farão o papel de ouvido de Deus, e você terá alguém a quem prestar contas.

O que quero dizer com esse monte de questões de autorreflexão e responsabilidade é que, às vezes, nos sentimos muito confortáveis em nossas vidas diárias.


Lembre-se, devemos ser santos para entrar na presença de Deus, ou seremos consumidos pelo Seu poder e glória. Ele disse: “Sede santos, porque eu sou santo” (Lv 19:2; 20:7; 1 Pedro 1:16). Você pode contestar dizendo que é impossível. E eu digo, e cito o anjo Gabriel e Jesus: “Para Deus, nada é impossível.” (Lucas 1:37; Mateus 19:26) Se você não acredita, você precisa colocar sua fé na porta. E nem pense que isso é coisa do Antigo Testamento. Ei, Deus não muda. Se Ele disse, está dito. Portanto, procure maneiras de se santificar e ser santo.

 

Não seremos santos da noite para o dia. É um processo chamado santificação. É por isso que cantamos: “Senhor, eu preciso de você, ah, eu preciso de você, a cada hora eu preciso de você…”

Não fique confortável nesta vida porque Deus nos criou para a próxima - a vida eterna. Ele não quer que se apegue às coisas desta terra. Porque também esta terra passará. E você morrerá, deixando tudo para trás. Paulo falou sobre isso algumas vezes. Eu acho.

 

Vou perguntar de forma diferente agora: “Você está trabalhando duro para ser santo todos os dias, todas as horas?”

Quanto mais tentamos, mais acertamos.

O Espírito Santo é nosso ajudador, lembra? Ele vive em nós para nos ajudar a ser santos, transformando-nos de dentro para fora. Ele é um ajudador, não um executor. Temos um papel a desempenhar nessa transformação. Você está entregando tudo a Deus? Seu trabalho, suas preocupações, sua dor, sua família e amigos, seus “pecadinhos” e seus “pecadões” ? Tudo o que você acha que pode controlar e as outras coisas que você sabe estão fora do seu controle, e você ainda tenta controlá-las?

 

Às vezes, Juan e eu conversamos sobre o futuro possível, então… chegamos ao ponto em que não sabemos. Ele começa a ficar ansioso e eu digo: “Deus proverá”. E Ele sempre faz. Como disse Davi: “O Senhor é meu pastor; Não me faltará nada.” Jesus também disse: “As minhas ovelhas ouvem a minha voz, e eu as conheço, e elas me seguem”. (João 10:27). Você pode ouvir Sua voz? Você O está seguindo?

 

Mas não se engane por causa da graça de Jesus. Ele também é justo; Ele julgará todos nós. Você vai passar no teste? Você realmente viveu sob o sangue de Jesus Cristo? As ovelhas devem ser imaculadas e irrepreensíveis. Isto não é coisa do Antigo Testamento. Isto é Jesus ensinando o que Ele espera de nós. Nada menos que perfeição. Precisamos tentar, pelo menos. O quanto você está tentando? Ou você já está confortável o suficiente?

 

Tome cuidado. Ser um seguidor de Jesus significa que esta vida não deveria ser confortável. Ele não vivia confortavelmente. Ele simpatizava com os pobres, os doentes, os marginalizados. Ele os trouxe para dentro do reino dos céus. Mas isso não significa que eles tenham o direito de continuar vivendo da mesma maneira. Nem que você precisa se tornar um deles. Jesus muitas vezes transformou radicalmente a vida das pessoas. Você é sal. Você é luz, logo você tem que se destacar; as pessoas devem reconhecer Cristo em você. Ele disse: “Um novo mandamento vos dou: amem uns aos outros. Assim como eu os amei, vocês também devem amar uns aos outros. Assim todos saberão que sois Meus discípulos, se vos amardes uns aos outros”. Eles saberão que vocês são meus seguidores pela maneira como vivem.” João 13:34-35. Então ele disse: “Se você me ama, você guardará meus mandamentos”. (Leia João 14:15-31).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Come and See + Judge correctly // Venha e Veja + Julgue corretamente

Venha e Veja   Two verses stood out for me this morning. John 7:17-18 and 7:24.   “ Anyone who chooses to do the will of God will find out whether my teaching comes from God or whether I speak on my own.   18  Whoever speaks on their own does so to gain personal glory, but he who seeks the glory of the one who sent him is a man of truth; there is nothing false about him.” John 7:24 “ Stop judging by mere appearances, but instead judge correctly.”   That was Jesus talking.  I lately heard that some people with vast knowledge of the Bible (we all want to believe) are being led astray through the vain doctrines of this world. Meaning, that some church leaders or people have earned the people's trust by telling them lies about the teachings of the Bible. People seek their own popularity by agreeing with the lies the world has offered them.  I have seen churches with flags and teaching doctrines that the Bible condemns. They have twisted the Word of God to be more acceptable and palatab

Are you lost? // Você está perdido?

Você está perdido? There is always this time in life when we are certain about what to do with our lives. We have a goal, and an objective to reach. However, it is often that life turns the other way around and our plans are made nothing. Frequently I hear people say, “I am lost, I don’t know what to do!” That happens when we put our goals into something that changes. Everything in this world change. You and I are changing by the minute. My thoughts right now are running like crazy, and if I don’t set a goal in something that doesn’t change, I can’t do anything. What is it?   Jesus. The word of God. You might think I am crazy, and lunatic or even a fanatic. But who really knows me, know that I am none of those things. I am a very sensible person who has lived and experienced many things. And I don’t lie. So, if you are experiencing a sense of loss and despair, how about putting your hope in the One who cannot change whatsoever. If you lost you

Pointing finger // Apontar o dedo

Recently I was studying the Sermon on the mount in a bible study at the church. It was wonderful to meditate and go deep in these Jesus’ words. So many details we sometimes don’t realize. We are very quick to see the flaws and failures of others. But interestingly the things we see faster in others are probably the things we don’t see or won’t see in ourselves. It is easy to point a finger when someone is, for example, throwing trash on the streets, when one doesn’t even bother to do the same at home. In Brazil, we have this saying “blacksmith’s house, woodpecker.” Who are you to point a finger to anyone when you yourself cannot do better? Your sin is no smaller than his. Jesus said, “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? ( Matthew 7 :3). Look, sawdust is something small, and plank or log is something much bigger than sawdust. Sometimes we are able to see something very insignificant in othe